Is it just us, or does it feel as though 2022 flew by?
For many, last year has felt like a return to normality. Back to socialising, going on holiday, and visiting the office.
One thing that hasn’t gone back to normal is eCommerce. In fact, since Covid the channel has gone from strength to strength. With many retailers focusing their budget and resource on online channels over their bricks and mortar stores.
eCommerce continues to fascinate and excite us. Perhaps that’s why we specialise in helping businesses in this industry to get the very most out of their email marketing strategies.
To give you a little insight into our passion for eCommerce, here are 40 eCommerce Stats you need to know in 2023.
- Global eCommerce sales are expected to total $6.3 trillion in 2023
- By 2040, almost 95% of all purchases are predicted to be via online eCommerce
- Retail sales revenue from physical stores are almost equal to their digital sales
- The top three eCommerce markets are China, the U.S., and the UK
- The subscription market continues to grow, with subscription-based revenues expected to have reached $120 billion in 2022
- The average shopper makes 19 online transactions per year
- 58.4% of internet users buy something online every week
- The number one reason people shop online is free delivery
- 81% of consumers conduct online research before making a purchase online
- 30% of consumers say influencer recommendations are one of the key factors in their purchasing decisions.
- 80% of online shopping carts are abandoned
- Nearly 75% of buyers use multiple channels before purchasing
- 87% of consumers spend less or completely leave brands that don’t provide great customer service
- Two-thirds of consumers are happy to pay more for sustainable products
- 70% of consumers like personalisation, as long as brands are using data they’ve shared directly
- 20% of consumers are willing to purchase from chatbots
- 80% of consumers aged 25 to 40 report shopping primarily online
- Three in 10 consumers say environmental factors impact their decision to purchase from a company
- By 2024, global retail mobile commerce sales are expected to make up 69.9% of total retail eCommerce sales
- Mobile commerce is growing 300% faster than traditional eCommerce
- Social commerce sales are expected to reach around 2.9 trillion U.S. dollars by 2026
- Almost 50% of the global online population makes at least one purchase per month using voice search
- The number of voice shoppers is expected to have increased to 55% in 2022
- For 78% of marketers, brand purpose is now more critical than ever since the pandemic
- 85% of businesses believe they offer personalised experiences, but only 60% of consumers agree that they receive it
- Online stores with a social media presence see an average of 32% more sales
- Online sellers were expected to spend $7.3 billion on AI in 2022
- 91% of consumers say that they’re more likely to shop with brands that remember their preferences and use them to provide relevant offers and recommendations
- 74% of Gen Z show an interest in personalised products (vs. 67% of Millennials, 61% of Gen X, and 57% of Baby Boomers).
- 83% of consumers are willing to share their data to “receive the benefits of a personalised experience.”
- 65% of eCommerce stores report an increase in conversion rates after adopting a personalisation strategy.
- 74% of marketers claim that eCommerce personalisation has a “strong” or “extreme” impact on online retailers.
- Personalised shopping cart product recommendations influences 92% of customers to make a purchase
- 58% of consumers say brands promote items that they don’t want
- Nearly 50% of the world’s population uses email
- Abandoned cart emails have an open rate of almost 50%
- For every $1 you spend on email marketing, you can expect an average return of $40
- The average email open rate for eCommerce is 15.68% and the average click rate is 2.01%
- 60% of consumers say they’ve made a purchase as the result of a marketing email they received
- Personalised messages in email marketing campaigns generate 5-15% more revenue than those without any personalisation.
Are you a brand in the eCommerce industry?
For some brands, the above statistics can be a little overwhelming.
Yes, a lot is happening in this space. Growth, competition, and innovations.
If you want to make the most of your email marketing activity and pave the way for a year like no other, then we can help.
We specialise in offering email marketing expertise to eCommerce businesses and brands. Why not get in touch to hear more?